Friday, February 9, 2018

Mexican Cruise: Catalina and Ensanada

Joe and I spoiled our family with a 4 day cruise to Mexico. It was such a great deal that we couldn't help but splurge! This was Joe's and mine second cruise with Carnival and the kids very first of many things. Their first airplane ride! Unfortunately we had to get up really early to make our flight. So they were tired and grumpy...It was their first time on a big boat! They loved the boat and the activities. And their first time out of country...though they never got off the ship so I don't know if that really counts!

Pre-boarding Time!


Poor girl was out! While we were trying to go over the safety boats and procedures.
First Port was Catalina Island, California. We thought it looked beautiful. We enjoyed walking along the beach and seeing the various shop fronts. We didn't do an excursion because they get so expensive. Remember this was a last minute splurge! We were trying to be good....when we were being bad!!

Looking to Catalina Island, California



Joe and I along the beach front.

Second Port: Ensenada, Baja California Mexico. Joe and I were pleasantly surprised with this place. We didn't know what to expect. We didn't schedule an excursion, but decided we would still go out and see what fun things we could find. And we ended up finding a cheap bus tour that took us to the blowhole La Bufadora. First of all, our tour guide, Jesus, was a lot of fun and very informative. It's always interesting to hear them tell the various stories of history, culture, and politics. Ha! I will admit that I am the typical tourist that is a little bit scared of being taken advantage of, or even getting hurt! Which I think we always need to be careful! But I also had my eyes opened to the idea that I need to relax, enjoy the beauty and variety the world has to offer. Even though there was a lot of desert, Joe and I thought it was pretty. In the middle of the city we saw a huge, beautiful Mexican flag. Just along the outskirts of town we saw fields of various crops, so pretty! I wasn't expecting that. But I guess it makes since, Baja California has a unique sea food cuisine with fresh produce.We drove along the coast and enjoyed the ocean and seeing the various fishing sections where they would "farm" their fish.

He also talked about the Disney Movie "CoCo" and how important La Dia de Los Muertos. I think it sounds like a wonderful holiday that I would like to try this upcoming year. To remember our dead and tell their stories. We do that a little with Memorial Day and Pioneer Day. But it would be nice to actually put up their pictures.

We got off at a market and walked the street. It was crazy to see all of the items for sale and the varieties of food. We tried the homemade candy...and we did not like it! Ha, but it was fun to try. We had their tacos and absolutely LOVED them. Wish we had a place like that where we lived!

We made it to La Bufadora Blowhole, and were amazed at the size of it. It was pretty fun to see the spray come in with the tide. And to even get some of the spray! We were all in for going swimming, hence the swim trunks, but there wasn't an option for that. Our tour guide actually joked around about people from Idaho crazy enough to want to go swimming...he had no idea where we were from! Haha!









We had a fantastic time!! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Joe and I went to a comedy show one night while the kids stayed at Camp Carnival. It was fun to be out and about and enjoy a date night!

0 comments: